Ready to start your unlearning process?
Can you imagine a world where everyone is valued, taken care of, and gets to show up as their authentic selves?
Do you know how to show up as your most authentic self?
Want to be a changemaker but not sure where to start?
Do you ever feel like . . .
You wish you could respond differently in certain situations,
but you're not sure what that would look like?
You're the only one going through this and have no one to discuss these issues with?
You're burnt out from facing challenging situations and/or people day in and day out?
You're tired of having to go above and beyond in order to fit in to different spaces?
You're stuck dwelling on past micro aggressions or icky situations way after they have occurred?
Imagine if . . .
You could clearly understand the systems of oppression at work in different situations and have the confidence to address them efficiently and effectively;.
You didn't have to explain your values and priorities to others, and fulfill your chosen responsibilities without guilt or shame.
You felt confident in your ability to accomplish big goals instead of feeling like you don't get to dream and thrive because you are stuck just trying to survive.
You could share these feelings without shame, guilt, or anger (to name a few) because you know others are going through the same thing as well.
My family moved to Canada from Costa Rica when I was very young. My family identified as Latino, and I didn't question it. Growing up I thought racism was a thing of the past . . .
But by the time I hit my teens I started to think there was something wrong with me cuz I didn't 'fit in' often.
- I felt frustrated when I saw how my role as a female in my family was shaped by cultural expectations that did not serve my personal growth.
- I felt confused when I realized that the religion I had grown up in did not accept me for who I was.
- I felt lost as I tried to figure out what it would look like to be a good Latina daughter who was succeeding and living life on her own terms.
- I felt like I wasn't enough as I saw peers advancing in their careers and lives but I couldn't move at the same pace as them.
- I felt like an outsider among my friends and struggled to connect with them. I felt like there was something wrong with me and felt irked by some of the things that were said and done but didn't know why.
- I felt lonely as I thought I was the only one who felt these things.
Until . . . I learned that I had internalized social norms that hurt me, and people like me.
Even worse, I realized that reinforced these norms daily without even knowing it!
HOW DID I REALIZE THIS?
IN The PAST I had experienced blatant racism, but thought it as the exception and not the rule.
IT WASN'T UNTIL I was talking to a 'friend' of mine that I realized how insidious racism is and how even people I thought were my friends could perpetuate racism against me.
I WAS LUCKY to have a coworker who is practiced antiracism, and she helped me understand where that 'friend' was coming from.
HOW DID I NOT KNOW? I have a BA a in Intercultural Studies, a M.Ed. in Arts for Social Change, and almost 20 years of experience in mental health, and yet I thought so many things were 'just the way things were', when actually the whole system is based in racism. SMH . . .
WHAT DID I DO? I did MY work, I put my research skills and experience as a mental health worker to lay out a strategy to stay mentally and emotionally healthy as I began this unlearning process.
NOW I understand myself to have ancestors from Africa, Indigenous Central America, and Europe. My Latinx culture is based in the colonization of 'Central America', and something I am still unlearning. My lineage contains experiences of colonizing (and all that it entails) and of being colonized (and all that it entails). I am a settler on the stolen lands of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations in what is so-called Vancouver, BC.
If you're like me, you're done with trying to 'fit in'.
If you’re reading this right now then you've probably . . .
- Tried to FIT IN by learning and adapting to pop culture even though you actually liked something else.
- Straightened and/or dyed your hair, stayed out of the sun, dieted and exercised to meet an expectation of what physical 'beauty' is.
- Figured out how to change your behaviour in order to FIT IN with different groups of people, because you don't feel like you can just be yourself.
- Practiced losing your accent or speaking more 'professionally' to FIT IN at your workplace.
- Learned how to dress, walk and talk to FIT IN on the street, so that people don't fear you or feel suspicious of you.
. . . and I bet you have started to work on being the change.
You resonate with the statements below and want to learn more . . .
- You have started to question your ancestry and want to reclaim traditions that colonization has erased or covered up.
- You understand the interconnectedness of humanity and how collective wellness reflects the wellness of the individuals that make up that community.
- You have are interested in personal development because you know the importance of your need for growth.
Creating a society that
celebrates everyone's authenticity,
where people take care of each other,
and live in harmony with the Earth.
A 6-week program for people who want to gain
CLARITY and CONFIDENCE in engaging in social change.
This program will:
Teach you about colonization and anti-racism so you will gain clarity on many of the terms that are used, how they relate to each other, and how they affect you.
Provide you with Creative Liberation Practices as a framework for your unlearning journey - applicable and accessible strategies founded on education, creativity and community that support you in incorporating change in your own life and sustaining it long term.
'THE WORK' 101 IS A LIFESTYLE DESIGN PROGRAM
It lays a foundation for unlearning colonialism, understanding your identity and supports you in establishing what your personal approach to decolonizing looks like. In this way you can effect social change every day and . . .
Get to know your authentic self and show up more confidently.
Draw from your ancestry and to guide you in creating change.
Contribute to your healing process and that of future generations.
Live in harmony with the environment around you.
The journey to decolonization is a marathon, not a sprint.
If you are still reading this, I know you believe this too.
I created this program so that you can have the tools to start your journey.
Where the MAGIC happens!
Here's how you go from CONFUSED and OVERWHELMED
to CONFIDENCE AND CLARITY!
Discover what a decolonizing lifestyle looks like for you, how you can begin to embody it,
and feel supported as you start!
PLUS you get one 60 minute clarity call to process and plan your unlearning journey!
Ready? Set? Go!
Stand in your power and embrace the healing and change you can bring about in your own life and that of others.
DESIGING A LIFESTYLE:
Bit by bit. Everyday.
Develop a strategy for creating a lifestyle that honours yourself and others and seeks to create a more just world.
This journey is a practice - meaning we will mess up, but when we do we know how to grow and restore relationships with those we may have harmed.
Who am I?
Process your ancestry so that you can strengthen your roots, knowing where we come from informs where we are going.
Can I handle it?
Understand your boundaries so you can prevent burn-out and fatigue.
How do we relate?
Learn how to apply a decolonizing lens on history and your life so that you develop a multidimensional approach to change.
being equipped to handle uncomfortable situations confidently and so you can go to bed without mulling over the "what if's", or "coulda, shoulda, woulda's"
going through the world FINALLY understanding why you sometimes get that icky feeling in response to a situation or new information and having a strategy to address it.
What's holding you back?
If you have made it this far you know what I am about, and I think you are about that #decoloninzing life too!
You are not too old, too young, too out of the loop, or too set in your ways!
Don't let guilt, shame or fear hold you back!
YOU ARE ENOUGH.
Who you will be 1 year from now, actually -no need to even go that far- think just 1 month from now!
What about all the ripple effects this decision will have, on your family, your community and the world?!
What do you want your legacy to be?
Join me on this journey.
Have more questions? Let's talk!
If you are Musqueam, Squamish or Tsliel-Waututh please email me at email@example.com